Home » Brief History

Brief History

PHILIPPINE MERCHANT MARINE SCHOOL is one of the three pioneer institutions for nautical science in the country. It was founded on August 1, 1950 by a group of dedicated and distinguished Filipino merchant mariners who saw the need to train more qualified deck officers for the country’s developing shipping industry. With an initial enrollment of 50 nautical students in 1950, PMMS conducted the first classes at the Marsman Building at Port Area, Manila with Associate in Nautical Science as its pioneer course.

The late Captain Crispulo J. Onrubia, a merchant master mariner and the former skipper of the presidential yacht during the pre-war days is the school’s first President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees.  He was succeeded in his passing in 1953 by Capt. Juan Acayan. The other former presidents of PMMS were: Capt. Pacifico Pablo (1955), Mr. Luis M. Onrubia (1978) and Mrs. Faustina M. Onrubia, the widow of Captain Crispulo Onrubia (1979).  At present, Mr. Juan O. Nolasco III, the grandson of the late Capt. Crispulo Onrubia is at the helm of the school as President and Chairman of the Board.

Through the years since its establishment, PMMS has remained an exclusive school for nautical science, and subsequently in 1979 for marine engineering.

In 1980, PMMS Las Piñas was established. From the first two courses offered, AMT (Associate in Maritime Transportation) and AME (Associate in Marine Engineering) it now has five baccalaureate courses: BS Marine Transportation, BS Marine Engineering, BS Customs Administration, BS Hotel and Restaurant Management and BS Tourism Management.  PMMS also offers a TESDA-accredited Seafarers Rating Course (Basic Seaman Course) with one-year specialization in Deck, Engine or Steward Rating.

Within the next few years, PMMS is set to open a Maritime High School and three more Baccalaureate courses: BS Mechanical Engineering, BS Electrical Engineering and BS Management. More TESDA courses offerings are also on the planning board. PMMS Manila is presently located at 1571 Lope de Vega St., Sta. Cruz, Manila, while its branch in Las Pinas has its campus on a two and a half hectare property in San Antonio Valley Road, Talon Uno, Las Pinas City.